The Kapellsberg Opera Studio at Härnösands folkhögskola is one of Sweden’s largest and most reputable preparatory opera educations. A very important part of the education is the full-scale opera productions that are performed annually.
Students from all over Sweden and also internationally apply to Opera Studio Kapellsberg. Students come to us directly after high school, after other folk high school or after a bachelor’s degree. We adapt the studies to your prior knowledge. We prepare you for further studies at Opera Colleges in Sweden and abroad or for an active professional life.
Since 2015, 42 students have gone directly on to, among others, the opera colleges in Stockholm and Gothenburg, the Guildhall School of Music and the Royal Academy of Music and the Royal College of Music in London, Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler, Berlin.
During three days, you get to meet our teachers in lessons in singing and stage language. You will also see our current students in the opera A Midsummer Nights Dream by Benjamin Britten in collaboration with Norrlandsoperan’s children’s and youth choirs Directed by Märit Bergvall.
You also take an entrance exam and the exam elements are:
· Singing test
· Written and oral exam in hearing
· Music theory and theory test
· Stage test
The admission course starts on Sunday 7 May at 2.30 pm (performance at 3 pm) and ends on Tuesday 9 May approx. at 2 p.m. For your individual singing lesson: Bring a repertoire list and sheet music (a copy for the teacher) for your singing repertoire and preferably several songs from your repertoire list.
For the singing test: Prepare two songs of which at least one is an opera aria. Sheet music should be sent to the pianist by April 25 at the latest to email@example.com or Härnösand folkhögskola, Musiklinjen Kapellsberg Box 14, 871 21 Härnösand.
You can also attach notes to your application in Schoolsoft. Don’t forget to write your name on each piece!
We offer a versatile educational program that challenges you to develop a singing technique for opera, a musical awareness and a linguistic self-confidence with pronunciation and diction. You get help to develop a body awareness and stage presence as well as mental focus and strategies for goals and goal fulfillment. It is a demanding education in a safe environment with positive competition where we encourage and support each other. Here are competent and committed teachers in close collaboration for each individual singer’s needs and development.
- Individual singing lessons twice a week
- Language – pronunciation and grammatical basics in Italian, French, English and German
- Musical craftsmanship
- Musical and stage design
- Contact improvisation
- Chamber choir / opera choir
- Target book
- Music history / opera history
- 2012: Läderlappen av J. Strauss d.y.
- 2013: Spagettiopera: Förhäxad Förtrollad Förgiftad, Barnopera Dockdoktorn, Hoffmans äventyr av J. Offenbach
- 2014: Figaros bröllop av W.A. Mozart, Spagettiopera Qabaret, Barnoperan Cirkusflickans resa av Malin Hülphers
- 2015: Spagettiopera – Tågstationen, Carmen av G. Bizet, Resan – en dokusåpopera (Resan till Reims av G. Rossini)
- 2016: Lilla Trollflöjten W.A Mozart
- 2017: Spagettiopera I’m a stranger here myself, Spagettiopera Hotel Nostalgia, Turandot av G Puccini
- 2018: Orfeus i underjorden av J. Offenbach, Spagettiopera- den galne kocken
- 2019: Barnopera- Prins Pompom av D. Saulesco beställningsverk, Gianni Schicchi & Syster Angelica av G. Puccini, Spagettiopera – Trubbel och trassel i Paris
- 2020: Lilla Trollflöjten W.A. Mozart
- 2021: Operafilm i 8 avsnitt: JAG ÄR INTE KLAR!, Julkabaré
- 2021: Pygmalions systrar
- 2022: Little Women M. Adamo
- 2023: En midsommarnattsdröm av Benjamin Britten
Information and application
- 2-3 years
- 100 %
- Student Support Level (CSN)
- Higher Education Level/Gymnasienivå
- Application deadline
After the closing date, we have continuous acceptance if there are places left. Applications are then processed in the order they come in.
Fall semester 2022: 29 Aug – 16 Dec
Spring semester 2023: 9 Jan – 16 June
Fall semester 2023: 28 Aug – 15 Dec
Spring semester 2024: 8 Jan – 14 June
A basic fee of SEK 500 is paid per term and is non-refundable.
There are additional course-specific costs for, e.g., books and study visits/travel. More information is provided in the welcome letter.
You confirm your place by:
- Paying the basic fee of SEK 500 through Swish to 123 264 3575 or alternatively via IBAN SE78 8000 0842 0297 4773 8814. NOTE Enter the name of your course!
- Accepting the offered study place in SchoolSoft.
+4672-240 10 08